Admission Process for National Institutes of Technology (NIT)
Note: A student can't simultaneously hold a seat in the NITs while looking for a seat in the IITs and vice versa. Details here
Counselling for admission into the various National Institutes of Technology (NITs) starts only once the results for Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Main (earlier AIEEE) are out. Both, the online as well as the offline test results are announced together, along with the national and state ranks of students.
If you've made the cut, your scorecard will proudly announce that you're eligible for counselling, in which case you should be prepared well in advance. Thankfully, we have the whole admission process figured out for you.
Step 1: Online Registration
- Like we mentioned, once you've ensured that you're 'eligible' for the allotment process, you have to register online on JEE Main Wesbite.
- Access the website and click on Registration.
- The names of the two streams - Engineering and Architecture - will appear on the computer screen; click on the desired stream.
- Register yourself as a new candidate - Enter your name, roll number, application number, date of birth. If you're actually ineligible and you're trying to cheat your way through, this is when they'll find out.
- Take a printout of the registration form containing the personal data.
Step 2: Locking of choices
- Once you are registered, you have to mark your choice of branches and institutes in order of their preference. Don't get scared by the interface - it's pretty straightforward and you can take your time to explore it.
- Before filling your choices, you will be required to read and agree to terms and conditions given there. Well, do it.
- As per your eligibility, available seat information relating to institutes and disciplines (engineering/technology and architecture/planning) will be displayed.
- Fill in AS MANY CHOICES IN YOUR ORDER OF PREFERENCE as you wish to from the list of available seats.
- You are permitted to change or re-order your choices, delete earlier choices and add new choices any number of times until you lock their final choices. So till you click the Lock Button, it's safe to play around a bit. But choices should be positively locked before the specified last date & time.
- The locking of choices involves a few steps after the LOCK button is clicked. This includes steps like entering the password, confirming the locking, etc.
- After the choices are locked, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO CHANGE YOUR CHOICES FOR ALL THE ROUNDS. A printable version of the choices is displayed once the choices are locked. Make sure you take a printout of the locked choices, sign it and produce it at the time of reporting to the Admission Center.
Step 3: First round of counselling
- Check your allotment status on the Official website. If you've been allotted something, fantastic! Now you should download and print the allotment letter.
- Report personally at the Admission Centre, which you will be informed about well in advance. Note that if you don't show up, you forfeit your admission and you will NOT be entertained even in the subsequent rounds.
- Get your documents verified and pay the initial fee. You will be informed about the details of the Demand Draft required on the website itself.
- Exercise upgradation option (if applicable) and obtain the provisional admission letter from Admission Centre.
The second round of counselling is exactly like the first, with the only difference being that you might get a chance to upgrade your course/college if there's a vacancy somewhere. Also, you may stand a chance to get allotted if you have previously been wait listed.